What is a Power of Attorney (POA) for Health Care?
In a Power of Attorney for Health Care document you name another person to act as your “attorney in fact” or your “representative”. This person will make medical decisions for you if you become unable to make them for yourself.
- Your representative can be a family member or a close friend.
- Your representative is guided by your instruction about any medical treatment you want or do not want.
- Your representative cannot be:
- your doctor
- an employee of your doctor
- your health care provider (unless he/she is your relative)
- any person already serving as Power of Attorney for Health Care for 10 or more people (unless he/she is your relative)
Download the legal documents below and take to a notary for establishing a Power of Attorney for Health Care, Living Will, or Catholic Declaration on Health Care Decision Making.